[AMRadio] Re: Average Age, etc.

D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Tue Jul 24 15:58:56 EDT 2007

>I would get about a 50% on the current extra test...

>Brett
>N2DTS

I just turned 65 in June.  Retired on 24MY07.  Now officially old buzzard.

I need to get me a slopbucket rig now so I can get on 20m during the day and
talk about colonoscopies, medications, blood pressure, social security, etc.

I noticed the same thing when I passed my Extra Class  ham exam and 1st
Class radiotelephone in 1963.  The questions were pretty easy, and most were
about things I  was interested in and had experience with, after having
achieved a kw on cw and 600w on AM with 304-TL modulated by a pair of 211's.

A year or so ago I tried one of those sample Extra Class exams on QRZ.com.
Not sure how close they are to the real thing, but taking it cold I got
about 80% - safely into the passing  zone.  Most of the questions I missed
were about specific IC chips that I  was totally unfamiliar with, and some
of the modern technology that I have never attempted to use.  I didn't see
any circuit diagrams or much about Ohm's law or resonant circuits.  I think
maybe it was a little harder than my 1959 novice test, but definitely easier
than my General test I took later on that year.

http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/
http://gigliwood.com/abcd/