[AMRadio] Ozona Bob - W55PYT

Jim Candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Wed Jul 25 19:00:27 EDT 2007

Hi all,

  Back in the early 1980's, Ozona Bob used a Globe King 400 on 10m into
two 10 element Sterba curtains phased to be unidirectional. He called it
the 20 element Sterba. He had two of these, one headed towards Main, and
the other towards Washington State. Bob had a lot of wire up in the air,
and most was aluminum 3/8" diameter power line cable.

  I recall receiving him on back scatter from Austin at S9 +10! I could
even copy him in my mobile 10m with ignition noise and all. Boy the guys
in the NE and NW must really have heard one strapping signal from Bob.

  I visited Bob and family several times from about 1982 till 1993. I
even got a chance to go on a date with one of his daughters (not my
idea). She was nice though, and we had a good time. That kind of just
happened where Bob and wife arranged it at the dinner table without
consulting their daughter or me beforehand. Fond memories....

Jim
JKO