[AMRadio] Re: AM'ers Age Poll Online

rbethman rbethman at comcast.net
Thu Jul 26 15:39:09 EDT 2007

I can't speak for others.

I got my Novice ticket in June of 1980.  Call sign KA4PBD.

I made that *dreaded* trip from South Georgia to Atlanta, and took my
FCC conducted General exam on 31 October 1980.  I went home with paper
in hand - "Interim - KA4PBD/AT".

My first rig was an SB-102, SP-600, and PS-23.  I ran CW on 40mtrs, and
my first L-O-N-G DX contact was a cross mode - I was sending CW - the
other person, Mr. Harry Adcock, ZL2MM was running voice on 15 meters.

I promptly made an arse of my self by sending at a rate entirely too
fast for me to copy.  Harry was *VERY* forgiving.

I acquired an AM Station in November if I recall correctly.  My local
club held an auction to replace their current station for HF in the City
Emergency Operations Center.  So I became the *very* proud owner of a
Hallicrafters SX-101A, HT-37, Dow Key relay, AND a Shure 737A crystal
microphone.

I began running AM on 75 meters.  I continued this until about 1986.  I
got my arm twisted into donating the station to a local High School here
in Virginia.  I went back to my love of AM around 1994.  I just could
*not* stay away from it.  I bought a DX-60 and an HG-10 VFO off the
"E-Place", along with an SX-99.  I fed that into an LK-500ZB pair of
3-500Zs.  I wanted more.  I bought an R-390A from an old timer whom is
now an SK.  I also bought an HT-32A and an SX-101 MkIII from the same
OT.  I also  located another Shure 737A.

A few years later I got my FIRST BC-610.  NOW I had a BIG AM Station.

Now I also have a T-213.  It is a Depot modified version of the BC-610.

So I've left AM for a very brief time, but can't stay away.  I've been
fed up with SSB, their CONSTANT contesting, and ridiculous WAY over
driven and splattering signals.

Bob - N0DGN