[AMRadio] Re: VK1 813 rig

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 03:29:33 EDT 2007

DOXEMF at aol.com wrote:
> Jim Candela writes:
>>  used an outboard power supply for the 8417's producing about 550 volts and 300v (regulated). I could get about 150 watts output pretty easy with that rig and still have good AM performance. I had a 125w Stancor polypedance mod transformer. This was a 160-40 rig only.<
>>

> I see, you didn't get 100% mod with that low of a supply.

he got -more- than 100% modulation out of that rig.  The 8417's were the
modulators, modulating a single 813.  Worked like a hose, from what I
remember.  He might have had (4) 8417's

> Been thinking of squeezing a pair of 4D32s ala Bretts final
> sort of so as to keep the voltage lower but current up. The stock VK supply has at least 500 ma available without the onboard modulators.

Pair of 4D32's?  That'd be around 200 ~ 250w, right?  Pair of 811's.
They're just great tubes, for class B stuff.

--
73