[AMRadio] would like to build a little homebrew project

Greg bluebirdtele at embarqmail.com
Tue Jul 31 11:36:37 EDT 2007

OK

You are talking about a fairly big and expensive transmitter.  If this is
your first one, it's going to be a long process.
I think the first thing you should settle on is what tube(s) will make up
the PA.  Then you need to figure out what the mod transformer requirement
will be. Mod transformers are spec'd for impedance and power capability. You
need to find out how to electrically match the mod transformer to the PA. A
good source of mod transformers is Ebay. Particularly the multi-tap
universal output types that companies like Stancor used to make.
The WWW has websites with JAVA calculators that can compute things like pi
net values for a given tube or tubes.
For what it's worth, I would not build the 3-400Z up due to the expense, I
would go with the 811A's.  The voltage won't exceed 1,200 vdc and that will
help keep expenses down overall for parts.
The last big part is finding a transformer that will power the thing.  This
is a real important point.  Too little transformer will literally make the
rig unuseable and too much is money and space tossed out the window. Another
thing you might try is to get your flea market parts/ resources in order.
You can save a ton of money recycling someone elses bits and pieces.
The best thing you can do for now is get on the web and start tracking down
the basic information for pi nets, AM power supplies, tubes etc.  When you
have settled on what you want to do let me know and I will look into the old
archive for a suiitable match in circuitry.  Hey, by that time you may have
already drawn up your own!
73's
Greg
WA7LYO