[AMRadio] would like to build a little homebrew project

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Tue Jul 31 11:50:41 EDT 2007

Brett is on the right path.  I have always heard from all my
old(er) elmers that it takes two things to work on 160.  1.
Power   2 a vertical antenna.

This is not to say you won't work anyone in your area with
low power, but if you hear someone at a distance, the 200
Watt + carrier can make the difference.

There is a guy in AZ who uses a Viking 2 (100 watts) with a
90 ft. folded unipole and he is as strong in Oklahoma as
garlic breath.

75/80 is much the same except a dipole can do a good job for
you.  I realize what you are doing, but I do suggest you put
up a very good antenna for 160.  It will pay off with the
lower power.

Jim/W5JO