[AMRadio] Re: would like to build a little homebrew project

ne1s ne1s at neandertech.com
Tue Jul 31 12:56:30 EDT 2007

Jason Buchanan writes:
> I'm wanting to build a little homebrew project and build bigger ones
> based on what I learn from the smaller project.  Just wondering if  anyone
> could point me in the right direction for building a nice  little AM
> transmitter, preferably for use on 160 meters...

Tube, or solid state?

If tube, there are many possibilities in the older handbooks (left coast as
well as ARRL). As a first project, I'd start with a low to medium power
class transmitter. If you have trouble finding affordable mod iron, a
screen-modulated sweep-tube into a linear amp will put you at roughly
150-200W carrier output (I frequently use such a set-up on 160M).

If solid state, check out www.classeradio.com/ for some nice designs that'll
make you sound like a million bucks.

When you get 'er done, join us on the Gray Hair Net on 1.945MHz on Tuesday
evenings at 8:30 EDT, or 8:00 EST, assuming you are within hollering
distance of the northeastern US (I assume you are because of the "1"
callsign, but ya never can tell these days ;>))

73/GL,
 -Larry/NE1S