[AMRadio] Interesting Web Site on Early Radio

Kim Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 9 09:16:54 EDT 2007

Perhaps this has been noted before and I missed it (I'm not as
attentive as I should be). There's a web site that focuses on the
early development of radio, up through 1927. The web address is
http://earlyradiohistory.us/index.html and, while I'm not a
historian, it seems comprehensive. One of the more interesting
aspects are all the links to original articles and documentation.

I stumbled across this while trying to uncover evidence of early
(WWI)  radiotelephone communications between aircraft and
air-to-ground exchanges. There were some, though I haven't yet
discovered what exactly was used. Could have been vacuum tubes or
maybe small arc sets. I simply haven't seen what it was. Obviously,
it was all AM (and all aviation voice comms remain AM to this day).

I have no idea who the author is -- he may have been a ham once and
was relicensed as a Novice (There's a Thomas H. White the license
data base) and there is no information about him anywhere on the site.

Anyway, it's a neat site.

Kim Elmore, N5OP