[AMRadio] 505kc (was 450T amp)

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Wed Jun 13 15:58:32 EDT 2007

If I recall correctly the FCC is going to have a bunch of
spectrum available down in the lower part when the NDB
stations are mandated to cease operation, what 200-500 KCy.
All those airport approaches are supposed to switch to GPS
approaches in the near future, 2012 sticks in my mind as the
terminal year for NDB operation, but it may be a bit sooner.

In the meantime there is quite an active SWL group who
monitor the NDB stations.  They have a website for logging
the reception of the stations and anyone can view the
reception reports and log theirs.

http://www.classaxe.com/dx/ndb/rna/index.php?poll=show

In years past I maintained a couple of NDBs in the 200 range
and they used short vertical antennas not over 25 ft. tall
without radials.  You should have seen the loading coils on
those.  Some stations had horizontal center fed antennas
that were about the same height and under right conditions
they could be heard many miles.  The long range NDB covered
out to about 300 miles reliably.

I wonder if anyone is pressing for some of that spectrum or
are they going to save it for something stupid like BPL?

Jim/W5JO