[AMRadio] Antenna experiments...

Brett gazdzinski brett.gazdzinski at verizonbusiness.com
Sat Mar 3 19:50:58 EST 2007

I received my new alpha delta dx-dd antenna, its for
80 and 40 meters, is about 82 feet long, has 2 coils at
about 35 feet from center, and then about 3 or 4 feet
of wire to the end insulator.
The way they get it to work is to make the coils have a lot
of inductance to separate the 40 meter from the 80 meter
section, but that makes the 80 meter section very short.
On 40 meters, it worked like a 40 meter resonant dipole,
and you can get the swr down very low, on 80 meters, you
can get the swr down, but I think it works like a 40 meter
dipole on 80 meters....

Band conditions have been poor, I heard nothing on 40
meters so I tuned in chu which is real far away and comes
in on the vertical antenna well, the home made g5rv well,
and the dx-dd a little less well.

Noise on the dx-dd seems high on both 40 and 80,
but it's a little lower then the g5rv and its over
the house.

On 80 meters, the home brew g5rv is tops, the butternut vertical
seems worthless, and the dx-dd between the two.

I got the dx-dd mostly as an experiment, to see how the
home made g5rv compared noise wise to another antenna.

Now that its warming up outside, I can do more
antenna experiments...

What would happen if I made the g5rv about 120 feet long
by passing the wire through the trees and down, instead of ending
it at an insulator at the tree?

With about 35 feet of open wire line, then into coax, would
the swr be low on 80 without a tuner?

Brett
N2DTS