[AMRadio] Re: update on BC1-T

VJB wa3vjb at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 5 13:40:02 EST 2007

Steve,

You've really moved right along, finishing in time to
enjoy the final couple months of the winter radio
season.

I'd like to be among the first to work you on 75m with
that, please let me know ETA.

On the EQ settings, if I were you I would use a flat
microphone and tailor your response at the equalizer
rather than compensating for a lumpy mic like the
D-104.

The Astatic has a curve that compensates for high end
rolloff in a consumer/amateur type of transmitter. You
don't have that shortcoming in the Gates and you can
cause some unrest with the neighbors on the band if
you don't take steps to claim it down to match
conditions.

Same for the low-end, while the D-104 probably would
provide a low cut by nature, I find it more
predictable to take a flat mic and tailor its response
to where the majority of your vocal range happens to
be.

If you were a female, for example, the question is
moot.

If you're the Kia Rio guy, it's another matter
entirely.

Hear:

http://wa3vjb.amham.com/sound/lowest.mp3