[AMRadio] Big Vertical on 75

D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Wed Mar 7 16:18:23 EST 2007

"So how does it work Don?

Should be good for long distance, my butternut
vertical seems to receive very well on 40 as
its almost full length, stations far away come in
as strong or stronger then on the dipoles, with much
less noise.
I have almost no ground system so I don't transmit
on it much.

I was watching it on 80 meters the other night, when the dipole
went into a fade, the vertical signal came up.
If I could only do diversity!

What happens when you hook two antennas up to one receiver?

Brett
N2DTS"

Brett,

I couldn't tell much difference between the vertical and the dipole.  Both
gave about the same results on receive, compared to the beverage.  With both
antennas, the beverage was far superior receiving signals from Europe.  I
listened the the German DRM noise on 3990-4000, the French AM group on 3550
and several German and British SSB stations between 3600 and 3700.

If you don't have diversity set up, the next best thing would be an antenna
selector switch where you could rapidly switch between the antennas.  I find
when using the beverage and dipole, or beverage and vertical, that very
often when one antenna goes into a fade, the other brings in the stronger
signal.

Due to cancellations and reinforcements as the phase of the received signal
varies on each antenna, I don't think simply combining both antennas to
feed one receiver would be any better than one antenna.  You might have
permanent nulls that make receiving  from certain directions impossible,
while peaking in other directions.

In the transmit mode, I got about the same kinds of signal  reports I
usually do, but without the capability of making A-B comparisons, any
observation would be meaningless.  I did get a few SWL reports from nearby
locations that the vertical put in a very poor signal to the 150-250 mile
range, something I fully expected.

Don, k4kyv

http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/
http://gigliwood.com/abcd/