[AMRadio] 4-400 first made when?

cemilton at aol.com cemilton at aol.com
Fri Mar 23 16:09:33 EST 2007

Brad and the group,

My posting said 20J................no such animal to my knowledge.  My
age is allowing the thoughts of the 20V2 and the 300J to run together.
I should have said, "the transmitter was a Collins 300J and the upgrade
made it a 20V-2."  Now I feel better.  I'm reasonably sure we changed
some iron but thats been a long time ago.  We did add a Rube Goldberg
designed homebrew solenoid arrangement that allowed use of the power
cutback switch.  The station ran 1kw day, and .25kw night.  The
transmitter was remotely controlled and if I remember correctly, the
R/C unit was made by RUST, Corp..  I'd suggest getting a schematic of
the 20V-2 and comparing it with the 300J to make your restoration a bit
easier.

Funny, I can still remember the Ep , Ip and I (ant) plus the antenna
resistance.  1500v, .225a, .73a and 470 ohms. (.25kw readings)
For the 1kw power setting they were  3100v, .455ma, 1.49a and 470 ohms.
  I must have read those meters hundreds of times.  We were always wary
of an FCC visit.  And we had one or two while I was CE.

Those were the days.  Brad, if you were close by I'd volunteer to
assist in bringing the old transmitter back to life.  They were
excellent pieces of gear.

Gud luck es 73

Chuck
W4MIL