[AMRadio] Otis / K5SWK on the air 3880

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 11:08:14 EST 2007

> On 3/25/07, Geoff/W5OMR <ars.w5omr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> who's transmitter?
>>

> Larry/WD5CFJ (?) furnished Otis with a small Alinco rig that is only running
> 25 watts on AM, however I did manage to hear him pretty good, but it was
> noisy and I'm sure the recordings I got of him will not be the best due to
> that.
>
> John/BXO was there with Otis, and mentioned that they were going to get his
> big rig going soon.  Something about a variac.

I hope it's with the one Ken/KA5RHK brought to him...  I have plans for
the 15amp/240v VariAc I took over there.

Otis said that it was too big to physically mount where his old one
was.  The one Ken brought was an exact replacement.

To answer your question, Bow, -most- of the AM you hear on 75m, in the
TX/OK/ARK/LA area occurs on 3.880, 3.885 and 3.890.

One week from now, I will be back home and back on the air.  I'm just
about *done* with working in Louisiana, and New Orleans.  I've been here
since 13Feb.

You might ask yourself "why the big interest in K5SWK?"  Otis is a
'living legend', on 75m AM.  My 83 year old friend doesn't get around
too well anymore, and various bodily functions don't function as well as
they did, when he wore a younger mans clothes.  The ears are about shot,
the feet have problems, and he's got some arhritis creeping in.  All in
all though, he's still got a sharp mind but alas, that part of him, too,
has good days, and some days that aren't as good.

I'd love to hear that homebrewed single 833 modulated by (2) 833's back
on the air, again.

--
73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR