[AMRadio] Otis / K5SWK on the air 3880

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 12:32:14 EST 2007

I wanted to add to this...

You might ask yourself "why the big interest in K5SWK?"  Otis is a
'living legend', on 75m AM.

To put it more succinctly, Otis/K5SWK is to 75m AM, what Bob Wills is to
Texas/Western Swing music.

Otis loves(d) to build.  He had whipped up mobile rigs for some of the
guys around the Houston area, for years.  He built a dual-band mobile
receiver for a trip to San Antonio to visit his school-chum since
elementary days, Koby/K5MZH.  A little 2-tube super-regen mobil rx, on a
chassis about the size of a 2amp 12v power supply, and he built it in 3
evenings, after working at the shop.

I guess it was along around 1990 or 1992 his shive-a-gitter broke,
mostly due to a family tragedy.

Until last night, he'd been off the air for a couple of -years-, and
while he was off the air, in the 70's, it wasn't like Otis to miss a
morning roundtable with the local friends.

I'm certainly glad to see he's got at least a -little- bit of a spark of
interest left in him.

--
73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR