Mike Sawyer w3slk at hughes.net
Tue Mar 27 21:31:29 EST 2007

When I was in the Navy, I was taught that the most dangerous voltage is 120 
VAC. Because we take it for granted and don't give it the respect that it 
truly deserves.

There has been a lot of talk tonight about a matching connector for the
Viking II rear panel antenna changeover relay socket. The Ranger has a 
socket. In the case of the Viking II, one side of this socket is connected
directly to one side of the line cord. If the external double fused plug has 
removed and replaced with a standard 2 wire AC plug, there is no fuse 
between one
side of the connector and the line.  In the Ranger, the same situation
exists. To prevent disaster, the first thing that users of these 
transmitters should
to is remove the fused plug and replace the line cord with a properly wired 
conductor line cord set. The antenna relay connector should be wired to the
neutral side if the new line cord.

The original matching connector is a dangerous thing. It is all but
impossible to get shrink tubing to stick to the pins and electrical tape 
around the
whole connector will eventually dry up and come off. I have no connection 
Glen, but his connector is a very safe way to access the antenna relay 
socket on
both rigs.

Many hams, myself included, either mount the antenna changeover relay on the
rear of the Viking or on the receiver rear panel. Some others simply use a
double male SO-239 connector. My point here is that the terminals on the 
coil need to be insulated, too. Back in the 50s when I built my Viking II, I
remember trying to get tape to stick to the supplied plug, but I don't 
ever insulating the terminals on the relay coil.  How I kept from being 
with this arrangement is a wonder to me. I guess being a fresh new ham, I 
thought too much about it. All the cautions back in those days from my Elmer
were to be wary of HV. I guess nobody gave line voltage a second thought and 
they did, it was not talked about very much.

Remember, it is not the voltage that kills, it's the current. An electrical
current flowing through the body is looking to find a ground. When it does 
body reacts by contracting muscle tissue. When this happens and you happen 
be holding on to something, you can't let go. If nobody is there to stop the
flow of current, ventricular fibrillation occurs when electrical signals 
the brain to the heart are interrupted. The result is that the heart begins 
beat in an irregular rhythm and is unable to pump blood properly. Unless the
victim received proper and immediate first aid, death follows shortly. You 
heard the phrase from old timers: "Keep one hand in your pocket while 
around voltage sources." The idea here is to keep you from having current
flow across your chest and through your heart.

I am not a doctor, nor a medical practioner of any sort, but many first aid
courses, electrical safety seminars and a few nasty bites have taught me to
respect all sources of voltage be they LV, HV Line voltage or even 
"Switch to safety" and install 3 wire cord sets on all your boatanchors. 
able to probe around in much of the solid state gear has caused many to 
complacent about shock. Don't let your guard down.

73 and stay safe,

John,  W4AWM

More information about the AMRadio mailing list

This page last updated 14 Dec 2017.