[AMRadio] electricity and other musings

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 10:18:38 EST 2007

On 3/28/07, Jim Wilhite <w5jo at brightok.net> wrote:

> And I always enjoy gigging you too.  :>)

Yea, yea, sure....kick the Yankee with the shorted mod transformer! I
see how it is. (o:

I actually went through the deck with the LV and audio circuits about
a month ago, after a different problem that was bias-related. Replaced
all the remaining electrolytic and wax/paper caps not done earlier,
and one bad resistor. Checked the bias voltage on the 6B4 drivers and
resting current on the 810 modulators last night. Everything was
perfect, right where I left it after the repairs in February.

Considering the syptoms, most agree that I have shorted turns in the
mod iron, a known weak point of these beasts (it is 54 years old,
after all). I have a spare in another rig, but not sure if it's any
good either. Really wishing now that I'd grabbed the CVM-5 that Brett
offered for sale here last fall. I'll get this transformer rewound,
but in the meantime will find something a bit more stout to use.

It might be a few days or weeks, but I'll be back on. You can't get
rid of me that easily. :D

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ