|[AMRadio] More electricity|
hro5-2 at cox.net
Sat Mar 31 19:13:37 EST 2007
Can't let this thread stop.............
My son had a friend who would connect IC' s to 110V at their
electronics class, The IC's would break open and fire would shoot
out. A few years later the friend visited my son and they decided
to go to the class and say hello to the instructor. He gave them a
horrified look and started to quickly thumb though the attendance
records. He was quite relieved when his friend said they were just
back for a visit, and were not taking the class again.
I had a Tesla coil that used 4 810's in parallel as the oscillator
and was powered with a 2 kV power supply. I had plenty of trouble
with the primary arcing to the secondary, which caught the insulation
on fire. It was necessary to turn it off and blow out the fire. I
finally solved it by using a gallon glass apple juice jug, wrapping
a string soaked with gasoline around each end and setting the string
on fire. After a number of tries, I had a glass cylinder, which I
put between the primary and secondary. I took it to high school, set
it up in the physics lab. and turned it on. An arc jumped to the
wood window frame, catching the wood on fire. We turned off the
coil, blew out the fire, cleaned the frame, and discovered a nail
under the paint. Fortunately, the faculty didn't notice the
damage. Later the instructor came by and asked if anybody could be
shocked. I said you had to be careful, and discharged the 4ufF
filter cap with a screwdriver, which sounded like a pistol shot. At
his request, I took it home later that day.
My son worked as an assistant in the computer lab, helping students
with their problems. A big, husky kid couldn't get the computer
working ok, and my son pointed out that the student needed to put the
5 1/4 floppy in the drive first. The student tried, missed the slot,
and the floppy was wadded up like a piece of newspaper.
73's Jim w6ivw
More information about the AMRadio mailing list
This page last updated 21 Oct 2017.