No subject

Sun May 13 10:46:53 EDT 2007

An organization that makes sure it takes care of BUSINESS FIRST is what =
we MUST HAVE. When we focus on "RADIO" we are defining the problem too =
narrowly. Paradoxically, "Amateur Radio" IS NOT ABOUT RADIO. It's about =
SPECTRUM. If we have no spectrum, we have no RADIO. And spectrum is =
BUSINESS. So what we need is an organization that protects our spectrum =
and responds to threats by being a player in the process we call "free =
enterprise". =20

Let me give you an example of what your kind of thinking did to a great =
American industry. The American railroads thought that their business =
was railroading--rails, trains, freight, schedules, etc. But this narrow =
definition of their business cost them their business. What they failed =
to appreciate was that their real business was transportation. And what =
they really should have defined as the key elements of their business =
was interstate tariffs and federal subsidies for the National Defense =
Highway System. The railroads missed the point and they are (basically) =
gone.

As soon as anyone starts talking about the ARRL in terms of "CW" and =
"AM" and "220". they are already in the trees, having forgotten about =
the forest. The ARRL today clearly makes spectrum protection and =
legislative action their TOP PRIORITIES. This is correct. This is what =
we must have to survive as a service and a hobby.

Like the railroads, we too will be gone if too many of us think like you =
do.

73, Don Merz, N3RHT

Subject: Re: [AMRadio] In Defense Of The ARRL

I think we need a new organization that is oriented more towards RADIO =
and less towards sales and business.=20

73 de Todd/'Boomer'  KA1KAQ