[AMRadio] Spy radio

k0occ at comcast.net k0occ at comcast.net
Tue May 1 15:23:38 EDT 2007

Either SSB or AM can be real cheap or real expensive, depending on your preference and situation.

 SSB can be real cheap - I've seen HW-100's with P/S for like $100 at hamfests; and Swans & Drakes for under $200..  Or you can go spend $3000-$4000 on a complete mint S-Line & 30S-1. Or a whole bunch more on the latest & greatest rice box.

AM can be real cheap - Have seen Heath AM mobile twins complete with AC P/S for like $100. Or to go upscale,  HQ-129X  & DX-100 - like $150 apiece. Or you can go spend $3000-$4000 on a mint 75A-4 & Johnson 500 combo, or spend $20,000 on a KW-1.

But the point is, whatever we spend, a lot or a little, SSB or AM, it is pretty much peanuts in the overall scheme of things. Ham radio is an extremely LOW COST hobby. Look at how much we spend a year on housing, utilities, cars, gasoline, food, insurance,cable TV, wife's trips to beauty parlor, etc., etc. Spending a few or several hundred $$ a year on ham radio is a rounding error; a fraction of a percent of what we spend on everything else. And cheaper than golf clubs & greens fees, or skis & lift tickets.

73

--
Ernie, k0occ
Atlanta, GA