[AMRadio] AM vs SSB: Cost

Brett gazdzinski brett.gazdzinski at verizonbusiness.com
Tue May 1 16:15:57 EDT 2007

 http://www.elecraft.com/

You can have a very good rig, and not only fix it,
but you can build it also.
The new K3 is coming out in a month or so, and includes
AM, with a sync detector and 8 band EQ TX and RX!

Its sort of a flex radio in a box, without the computer.

I think you can get an old broadcast transmitter for free
sometimes, and old heathkit ssb gear almost as cheap.

I think it's a wash as far as price goes.

Why anyone would WANT to talk on ssb is beyond me,
a cell phone sounds better and costs less most times.

I can see why the hobby is shrinking, take a youngster
to listen to ssb quacking and they think voip is a lot cooler
and even texting is better.
SSB is a joke compared to voip and a web cam...

Brett