[AMRadio] WAS:Spy radio - Swapmeet and Auction Ethics

Thomas Adams quixote2 at ix.netcom.com
Tue May 1 17:06:55 EDT 2007

At 12:22 PM 5/1/2007 -0400, you wrote:

>On Tue, 1 May 2007, Todd, KA1KAQ wrote:
>

>> I had a similar experience years ago at the Milton hamfest. Mike, W1RC
>> wrote about the event on the original boatanchors list back when it
>> happened. I was asking about the price of a Collins KWM-2A that a
>> fellow had for sale. He responded, and as he did, one of the flippers
>> in attendance reached around me, grabbing the rig and saying "I'll
>> take it".
>>
>> It bothered Mike a lot more than it did me at the time, he was
>> downright angry. It was indeed rude and unnecessay behavior. And yes -
>> what goes around, comes around, and he lost out later for all to see.

I THINK I KNOW THE DUDE YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!!! Does he work midwest hamfests
too?

If so... he's well and truly pissed off a LOT of guys around here. He pulls
that crap all the time...   and an hour later he has the stuff for sale at HIS
table, marked WAY up over what he paid!

The MOST obnoxious flipper here (the same guy) REALLY made a major enemy a
couple
of hamfests ago.

While a seller was still unloading for an indoor hamfest, he came back to find
this dude OPENING THE CARDBOARD BOXES FROM THE PREVIOUS LOAD to get first dibs
on what was being brought in!

IMHO, that sort of crap is WAY over the line!

An interesting thing about flippers...  they'll battle tooth and nail over
your
asking prices, whining about how your price is WAY out of line. If you stop
at HIS
table and show interest in something, HIS prices are set in cement, and
they're ALL
fair market value!

At the Madison, WI hamfest last week...  ANOTHER obnoxious tactic has
surfaced.

A guy (different one) picked up an item while the seller was away, and walked
around with it to check out other tables... coming back with it later to
make an
offer on the item when the seller had returned!

Hamfest ethics have been sliding downhill the last few years. This year, after
30 years of hamfesting, we experienced TWO cases of outright THEFT of items
from the table. This is a first.

At Radio Expo a couple of years back, I was astonished by a theft that
occurred;
somebody actually made off with two NOS 450TH triodes, still in the suspension
shipping frames!!!

Mr. T. W9LBB