[AMRadio] AM vs SSB: Cost

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Wed May 2 09:39:18 EDT 2007

On 5/1/07, Brett gazdzinski <brett.gazdzinski at verizonbusiness.com> wrote:
> Not to put it down, I could have fun on ssb if there
> was someone interesting to talk to on it, and maybe there is,
> but not on 80 at night I guess.
> Its efficient, but I have NO sense of pitch, and can not
> tune the stuff in, it always sounds 'off'...

I think the pitch thing is more related to the lack of available audio
more than anything. Even when you tune it in 'right', it still sounds
thin and crappy. The wideband SSB sounds a bit better as far as lows
go, but really not enough to justify the space used. They'd be better
off using AM, the results would be better for the amount of spectrum
utilized. To each his own.

80 isn't bad really, 75 always seems to have a some garbage tha isn't
mode-specific during the evening hours. Later at night the ghetto
seems to quiet down as the antics and jamming subside. My guess is
that a lot of the SSB ops on 80 haven't been exposed to the nonsense
from 75 since many of them either make cross mode contacts with AMers
or switch their rigs over and try out AM.

I agree Pete, that SSB is the better bet for weak signal and DX work
for the most part. But again - you do have the ones who have to work a
station regardless and will run huge power and step on every other
station to do so. The typical ego issues we tend to associate with the
corntesters. They give DXers a black eye just as the idiots ops give
other modes a bad name.

OTOH, working Steve in Tum Tum, Washington and Mike 'No Money' in
California was a real blast for me. AM DX, more or less, considering
the difficulty associated with AM and distance. Both accomplished late
at night in the AM ghetto after the troublemakers and jammers had gone
to bed.

I don't mind SSB, I just prefer AM for the limited radio time
currently available to me. Bad apples aren't mode-specific, there just
seem to be fewer using AM.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ