[AMRadio] high-priced accessories and audiophools revisited

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Fri May 4 09:37:18 EDT 2007

 From the 'you're kidding me, right?' files...

I mentioned a while back, that there was little that could surprise me
anymore. Once in a while, it happens.

http://hcmaudio.com/comp.asp?compID=335

Their claims is:

"If you are building your own audiophile power cords to improve
performance in your audio or home theatre system then you’ll definitely
want to use the 381. Why build a performance power cable and then plug
it into a ordinary receptacle? The WattGate™ 381 is the perfect way to
fine tune the power source for your high-end audio or home theatre
system. The construction of the 381 is very durable and features
glass-filled, nylon-tough front and rear housings for UV and chemical
resistance. The mounting strap, rivets and grounding strip are gold
plated, solid brass.

Installation of the 381 is simple and efficient due to rear wiring and
large, #10 brass terminal screws. The terminal clamps are gold plated,
solid brass and shaped to better grip the conductors. Like the 330 and
350, the 381 leaves the competition behind with its contacts. They are
configured in a triple-wipe design to allow the plug blade to be gripped
at three separate points. Additionally, the contacts are made of very
heavy-duty material to maximize the clamping spring-rate and ensure
conductivity and the three-layer plating process is also completed on
the 381: Oxygen free copper plating, electroless nickel, and finally 24k
gold plating dramatically improves conductivity and prevents corrosion.
Receptacle is 125V, 20 amp."

Comparatively speaking, you can get the 'lesser' model, for -only- $147
($140ea, if you purchase 4 or more)

--
Driving your AM Rig without a scope,

73 = Best Regards,