[AMRadio] Hy-Tower

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Sun May 6 17:07:09 EDT 2007

There is no reason the Butternut won't work Rick, however it
will be band narrow.  Put as many radials under it as
possible and see what happens.  4 is very marginal, but will
work, 8 is just a bit better, 16 is getting better, 32 is
adequate and 64 is OK.

The Hytower is a good antenna too, but will need the
radials, especially on 160, to work well.  I have a friend
up in Mountain Home, AR that uses one on 160 with 16 radials
through a Johnson 500 and I hear him fine.  As you add
radials, you affect impedance and efficiency.

According to the specs:
      AV-18HT Specifications
      Electrical Specifications
      Bands  10, 15, 20, 40, and 80 Meters (optional mod for
160 Meters)
      Max Power  1500 Watts PEP
      Input Connector  SO-239
      Mechanical Specifications