[AMRadio] Hy-Tower

Larry Szendrei ne1s at neandertech.com
Sun May 6 21:27:44 EDT 2007

Mike Sawyer wrote:
> There is a fellow up in MA, (his call escapes me now) but he uses a 16' loop
> made from tubing (1"?) and a motorized vacuum variable at its base. He
> claims he can go from about 1865~2000 without any problems. I worked him and
> he had a nice signal for a compromised aerial.

Yes, I know exactly who you're talking about, although his name and call
also escapes me at the moment. He recently joined the Gray Hair Net on
1945, and yes, this guy is as strong here as the stations running full
1/2 wave dipoles at comparable power. The vacuum variable has a voltage
rating of 30KV; he said 15KV was marginal and arced over occasionally,
due to the high voltage developed across it at modest (legal) power.

-Larry/NE1S