[AMRadio] 3.878 & 3.892

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Tue May 8 09:05:50 EDT 2007

On 5/7/07, A.R.S. -  W5AMI <ars.w5ami at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I hear nothing, nothing of the SSB bunch.  Has something
> > happened of which I am ignorant?
> >

> I doubt it Jim.  Since there is little or no AM activity in the
> "window", they have nothing to talk/gripe and complain about.  If you
> ever just sit and listen to those guys on 3892, Bernie, Kenny, and the
> rest, all they seem to have for subject material is "those lousy
> AM'ers",  They commonly will ID with for example, "...this is K8RXW
> and AM is trash".  He's one guy I'd love to meet up with at a hamfest
> one of these days....

I was on the air for a bit last night with a group up in the AM ghetto
at 3885. KC2FXE, N1VIV, KC2DTQ, KA1ZGC, WA1SSJ, VE6PG (and probably
someone I missed) were in there at different times in a roundtable. I
bailed at around 2320 and a few were still in there. The band was
borderline-crappy, static was present but not bad enough to completely
discourage operation.

Thanks to Joe, WA2PJP, I have a loaner mod transformer while mine is
being rewound. Gary, WZ1M took it back to Maine with him after
NEAR-Fest to test and repair. He sent me a rundown along with pics,
posted on amfone if anyone would like to see the failure mode:

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=11077.0

Hopefully there will be a few more good nights before the static
builds to annoying levels for the summer season. Looking forward to
more air time, especially down below 3750 where things are a little
less ridiculous.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ