[AMRadio] Late night DX possibilities on 40m

Roger Basford roger at new-gate.co.uk
Tue May 8 18:06:34 EDT 2007

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 13:09:37 -0500
> From: "D. Chester" <k4kyv at charter.net>
> Subject: [AMRadio] Late night DX possibilities on 40m
> To: <amradio at mailman.qth.net>
>
> I have listened on 40m for the past few late evenings, after 0400 GMT.
> The
> broadcast stations begin to thin out between 7100 and on up towards 7180
> or
> so.  At the same time, I am hearing strong European amateur activity
> between
> 7075 and 7160, with little statside QRM.  Apparently most US operators
> have
> gone to bed by then, since I do occasionally hear US stations, and they
> are
> usually very strong, often from both coasts.  This indicates that the band
> is indeed open. Of course there is most likely a skip zone, similar to 20m
> in daytime.
>
> I worked a station in Germany a couple of nights ago on 7148.  100% both
> ways.  He was on SSB, while I was running the 8005/805 rig at about 300
> watts carrier output on AM to the 80m dipole fed with open wire line.
>
> I know there are some AM'ers in the Netherlands who have tried working
> transatlantic AM on 75.  But with the QRN, I suspect 40m would be a much
> better band this time of year.
>
> I would suggest that those AM'ers who stay up late at night try to QSO in
> the expanded portion of 40, between 7125, up through about 7170.  If we
> got
> a good stateside QSO going, perhaps some of the Europeans would join in.
> Otherwise, we would at least make some "AM presence" be known in the
> expanded part of the 40m phone band.
>
> Given the generous expansion of 75m phone, I still don't understand why
> the
> FCC didn't expand the 40m band down to 7075.  I rarely hear any digital
> stuff up that high, and just a few CW stations every now and again.  But I
> do hear a lot of DX phone stations, but we have to work split if they are
> below 7125.
>
> Some European countries now have limited amateur privileges between 7100
> and
> 7200.  That is supposed to eventually become exclusively amateur
> worldwide,
> but it  remains to be seen if all the broadcast stations will vacate the
> area, since many of them, including some of the privately-owned US
> stations,
> work "outband".  In the past week or so, I have heard strong signals (on
> SSB) from UK, Germany and Spain, working US stations as well as other
> Europeans.  Under those condtions, I would say that an arm-chair copy QSO
> would be possible on AM.
>
> I'll probably be working more and more up there, rather than  fighting
> springtime QRN on 75 and 160.  Hope we could stir up a little more AM
> activity in the expanded portion of 40 than we have been able to lately on
> [...]

Hi Don,

7143 has been an unofficial AM frequency here in the UK since the band was
extended to 7.0-7.2 a while ago. There's little inter-UK or European traffic
there but the activity comes and goes with propagation. Most AM activity
here is on 3615 and 3625 kc with the Dutch using 3705 kc. There are some
BC-610 users in Holland and so they may be audible with their power
advantage, whereas we're limited to 400 w PEP output (100w with 100% mod).
Trouble is, most AMers here tend to rag-chew and not look for DX, unless Ten
is open.

73,

Roger/G3VKM