[AMRadio] #4 wire from mains? - they gotta be kidding

Bill Fondren bill.fondren at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 9 23:43:25 EDT 2007

Brian I think u answered a lot ur questions or concerns.   The transmitter was designed for 24 hour / 7 day a week operation.  at 1000 watts.   I agree # 4 seems overkill but Gates wanted to get as stiff a power supply to the transmitter as possible.  Those transmitters were used in a lot of small towns, mom and pop operations. The old branch circuit tables showed 30 amp #10, 40 amp #8, 50 amp # 6 etc.  Then down at the bottom of the page the small print said for long distance runs keep the voltage drop less than 3% by increasing wire size.  Anyway from the distances u mentioned dont think u will have a problem.  Dont forget to double the distance in making voltage drop calulations because the current comes in on one wire and returns on the other wire.   Bill Fondren   K5PML

"A.R.S. - W5AMI" <ars.w5ami at gmail.com> wrote:
    I've been reading the Gates BC-1T manual and found two instances where
they state that #4 wire should be used. One says:

"3) ...provide #4 or larger primary wiring from entrance box to transmitter".

What the heck am I missing here? My 200 amp mains (as the wire runs)
to my shack junction box will be about 24 feet max, and then from the
shack panel to the Gates will be no more than 12 feet.
  -  -   -
  Brian / wa5am

--
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names
the streets after them. - Bill Vaughan