[AMRadio] #4 wire from mains? - they gotta be kidding

D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Fri May 11 00:26:18 EDT 2007

>From: "Bill Smith" <hbco2 at sbcglobal.net>
>Don't be afraid to use large wire in primary feeds.  I have seen the result
>of "skimping" with the result conduit noticeably warms after about 10 - 15
>minutes of operation.  The worst consequence is a power sag when the
>transmitter comes on with the result that in the extreme, contactors won't
>operate correctly.  The wire tables specify the minimum wire size,
>especially if long runs are contemplated (fifty feet or so).  You will
>never
>regret using the next size, even if it is initially more expensive.   The
>current price of copper does not make the decision any easier.

Don't forget to use oxygen-free copper wire conductors, and hospital grade
mains outlets.  Expect  good  oxygen-free copper a.c. wiring at that power
level to cost you upwards of $500 a foot, but after you have tried it, you
will find that it's well worth it.

You won't notice much, if any difference from ordinary copper wire the first
time you fire up the transmitter.  The wire must be "broken in" first.  But
once it is well broken in after a total of maybe 100 hours of operation, the
improvement in signal reports you get with that transmitter will be
astounding.

Don k4kyv