[AMRadio] Globe Champion 350 & HQ-170A

Kim Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 13 17:44:52 EDT 2007

If all goes well and I can get enough space cleared, I'm going to set
up my Dad's (W5JHJ) Globe Champion 350 and Hammarlund HQ-170A in my
shack, alongside my TenTec Orion II.  It has the original AX9909
finals and my Dad is the original owner (purchased in 1959!). I think
he even has a spare set of finals for it. Aside for some mods my Dad
has made over the years, it's original, as is the HQ-170A. The last
time we fired them up, everything worked and it all tuned as it
should have. This thing even has the 11 m band on the VFO scale
(which, as I recall, is terribly inaccurate), though none of the 11 m
components.

I seldom see HQ-170As appear for sale and I can't think of the last
time I saw a Globe Champ 350 for sale, so I have no idea what its
value is; I'm guessing not much. Whatever it is, I assume it's higher
with the AX9909's. Still, I've also seen some ideas about replacing
the AX9909's with a pair of 4-65's. I can't however, find those posts
anymore. Since the AX9909's are made of unobtainium, if they quit and
the spares have a problem, I'll have to perform this mod. Are 4-65's
more common? And, does anyone know the details of that mod? If not
the 4-65, what would I use?

Kim Elmore, N5OP