[AMRadio] Chinese 833's

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Wed May 23 11:18:19 EDT 2007

On 5/23/07, A.R.S. -  W5AMI <ars.w5ami at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just got my BC-1T which has a new set of Chinese made 833's.
> Wondering if anyone has opinions on these.  Seems I've heard they
> don't live up to the emission, etc., of some of the domestic brands.
> Should I just count on replacing them and keep them for spares, or
> maybe just decoration?

Congrats, Brian -

Paul and I were actually discussing this very issue at Dayton, he
mentioned a problem with the pin spacing on one of the Chinese tubes
he got from me, which caused it not to fit properly into the
socket/clamp. I'll let him elaborate.

I've heard from others that they work fine, but don't last as long as
the old RCAs and so on. I'd suggest snagging some NOS RCAs when you
find them, even if they cost a bit more. Use them, keep the Nationals
as back up tubes.

Bob KC4QLP used to be on this reflector. He's the guy I got the
Raytheon RA-1000 from and is the engineer who maintained it. The
transmitter came with a bunch (20+) 833s, a mix of manufacturers.
Hopefully he's still here, and will chime in with his first hand
experiences in broadcast service.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ