[AMRadio] OT but of interest to some

Joseph Bento N6DGY at kirtland.com
Mon May 28 13:37:00 EDT 2007

Now living in Utah, obviously I can't listen to WLS directly - at least
during daylight hours.  Nice to listen to the internet stream.  I lived in
Chicago for a time 20 or so years ago, and fondly remember them as the "Big
89."

A major interest in my hobby is restoring vintage broadcast receivers, and
also building high-performance crystal sets.  I have one local AM station in
Provo that broadcasts music.  Otherwise, it's band edge to band edge of
conservative talk and sports.  I've set up my own Part 15 transmitter so I
can at least have something worthwhile to listen to on my old radios if the
Provo station doesn't suit me.

Now, KSL in Salt Lake, for example, has gone digital.  They still broadcast
analog as well, but the digital content spews 30KHz wide!  Why does Rush,
Sean, et al need "digital" AM?

The market might be small, but I believe there is still a market for music
on AM.

73,
Joe, N6DGY
Pleasant Grove, Utah