[AMRadio] OT but of interest to some

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Mon May 28 15:14:10 EDT 2007

Here in Oklahoma I have a choice of music, if you can
believe it.

There is an old country station down near Dallas, TX that
plays it plus a small town station about 50 miles away.  On
top of that a station about 25 miles South has R&R from the
late 60s to the 80s.  There is another station about 25
miles North that has the same format, unfortunately it
subscribes to the same satellite service.

In Dallas there is also a big band station KAAM which gets
some of my attention.

Frequencies for all this is 770, 1190, 1240 and 1470.  That
keeps my dial lubricated.  But I do miss 50 KW KOMA in OKC
playing true R&R from the 50s to the 80s.  They sold 1520 a
couple of years back and now it is talk.  The R&R format
moved to the FM band with 4 of the old time DJs from the OKC
market.

As a youth I had it good in SW Oklahoma.  890-WLS, 930-WKY,
1510-KSTP, 1520-KOMA, 1060-WNOE (remember Jack the Cat?),
1200-WOAI, 940-KIXZ, and 990-(I forget their call) in
Wichita Falls, TX.

Aha the good old days.

Jim/W5JO