[AMRadio] Better AM audio for a EF Johnson Messenger2

Bow kd5kzn at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 29 01:54:23 EDT 2007

Hey all,

Has anyone here ever played with a Johnson Messenger (or Messenger Two) CB
on 10 meters? I am looking for suggestions on how to get better sounding
audio out of the one I have. The Hardwired Crystal "Banana" microphone is
coming off ASAP and I plan on inputting audio from my rack gear, or using a
more modern dynamic microphone.

But I know this thing has to have some audio bandwidth bottlenecks.

Has anyone ever used one on the air?

The schematic is here:
http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/ef_johnson/messenger_2/graphics/messenger_2_s
ch.jpg

For Starters, I think C24 needs to be increased to .22uf, to let some low
end through.

Any other suggestions?

Bow

W5EFR