[AMRadio] My response to ARRL central director

sbjohnston at aol.com sbjohnston at aol.com
Thu Nov 8 11:34:01 EST 2007

Mr Isely -

I was shocked by the tone and content of your message regarding the the
IARU Region 2 bandplan changes.  Foremost among my concerns is the fact
that you never responded to my questions regarding limiting and
restrictive nature of the the proposed bandplan.  As a member I
expected that you would take my opinions into consideration.  But
instead you issued a mass-email calling those who have expressed
concerns about the bandplan to be "ignorant".

I *did* my research before contacting you, including learning about the
IARU and corresponding with ARRL and IARU officials.  The ARRL
officials brushed me off.  An IARU Region 2 official indicated that the
"tightening" of the bandwidth specs was at the suggestion of the ARRL
representatives to the IARU meeting.   Have you contacted IARU
officials to get this perspective?

You are an elected Director of the ARRL. In addition to your governance
role in the League you have a duty to listen to the concerns of the
members in your division, and represent the interests of all the
members in your division.  I think you should be listening to your
constituents rather than lecturing and insulting them.  You have a duty
to be respectful and considerate of those members who might choose to
tell you their thoughts.

I remain highly concerned about these bandplan changes.  And it is not
just about "AM" mode as you indicate in your mass-email.  I feel that
tight restrictions on bandwidth are not in the best interests of
amateur radio - period.  We need maximum flexibility to allow all sorts
of operations and modes, both old and new.

Steve WD8DAS
Fitchburg, Wisconsin