[AMRadio] 6U8 Subststute?

Jim Candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Sat Nov 10 14:20:23 EST 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: Ellen Rugowski <ellenjoanne2003 at sbcglobal.net>

Nope, not yet Steve.  Fred, KC1XF, is sending me a 6EA8 in the mail
 (that's
just gathering dust for him), and it hasn't arrived yet.  It's a direct
substitute for the 6U8, and others who voiced the same opinion as you -
 that
the 6U8 is kind of wimpy, and the 6EA8 will be a better driver.
  Hopefully
it'll arrive in today's mail (Fred sent it out on Tuesday of
 Wednesday).

73,
Ellen - AF9J

Reply By Jim, WD5JKO:

  Ellen,

   The Central Electronics 20A uses a 6U8 also and these run pretty hot. The tube lifetime is not very long. I have searched far and wide for a more beefy substitute that shares the same base diagram. The 6EA8 or 6GH8 do not have any advantages over the 6U8 that I can see. I finally bumped into the 6MU8. These have similar ratings except the pentode Pd is 3.8 watts whereas the 6U8 pentode Pd is 2.75 watts. The main difference besides that is the 6MU8 has a taller glass envelope. The last I looked, www.tubesandmore.com had the 6MU8 NOS for $2.75 each.

Regards,
Jim
JKO

http://tubedata.tigahost.com/tubedata/sheets/049/6/6MU8.pdf