[AMRadio] Re:Reactor Wanted

Thomas Adams quixote2 at ix.netcom.com
Sun Nov 11 21:05:45 EST 2007

Howdy, Geoff!

 >>> Thomas Adams wrote:
>and maybe even make the legal limit output for AM (375 watts of carrier).

Hi, Tom.

This is an incorrect statement.  There is no -legal limit carrier
level- for AM.

The legal limit on -any- mode is 1,500 watts -PEP -output-.  Period.

If you have a transmitter that has it's audio at the base-line on
negative peaks and positive peaks that reach beyond a 2:1 ratio, then
your 375w carrier is producing more than 1,500 watts PEP output. <<<

In the (unlikely) event of an FCC inspection, I doubt that the
inspecting engineer is going to go with
that sort of reasoning and observe such niceties, even tho it IS correct.

The "right" answer in this case is the one that they tested me on for
my (now defunct) 1st Class Radiotelephone
license; the peak power of a carrier at 100 percent modulation is
four times the carrier power. Anything else
leaves too much wiggle room, and opens the door for
lawsuits...  especially if your rig doesn't use any sort of
processing tricks like negative peak clippers.

This is a matter of absolutes...   and absolutes ONLY exist in
bureaucracy and statutes. In those realms,
reality means little or nothing. And the bureaucracy says that
without processing, PEP equals four times
the power of the unmodulated carrier.

73's,

Mr. T., W9LBB