[AMRadio] Re:Reactor Wanted

SBJohnston at aol.com SBJohnston at aol.com
Mon Nov 12 09:37:27 EST 2007

Another twist in measurement of peak output power is how you defining peak
duration.  Test gear varies in short a peak it can respond to.

We can split this hair pretty fine... but does it really matter?   Do FCC
inspectors of amateur stations even exist any longer?   It has been a loooonng
time since I ran into one in professional circles, never in the amateur realm...
 Twenty years ago I was involved in training Commission inspectors for
several services, and the most complicated test gear they had for measuring power
was a Bird 43 or equivalent.  Maybe now they've got a peak-reading Bird (since
lots of commercial stuff is multiple-carrier on one transmission line these
days).  But  quite often these guys were quite happy to use the existing metering
in the station and just wrote down the reading.

I'd think it more likely today they'd sit in the car and make field-strength
measurements of your signal at a given distance - a pretty rough gauge of
transmitter power in amateur stations.   Good luck to you if you have an
extra-efficient antenna...

Steve WD8DAS