[AMRadio] Re:Reactor Wanted

D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Tue Nov 13 03:55:03 EST 2007

I think I see what you are looking for - something to use as a modulation
reactor.  You wouldn't want to use a swinging choke for that.  Best choice
would be a real BC xmtr modulation reactor, although a power supply
smoothing choke with sufficient inductance would work.

One possible suitable mod reactor for your use would be the final version of
the one used in the Gates BC1 series.  I have one in  my 8005/805 rig.  It
is rated at 32 henries (I think) @ 600 ma, but it is about the size of a
50's era tube type TV power transformer, and weighs only about 25-30 lbs.
The core must be made from some special alloy to get it that small and light
weight.

I think the Globe King 400 is a much better xmtr than the 500.  I remember
working on the 500 that belonged to Roger N4IBF.  Marginal is an
understatement.

>have you tried to
>find "fish paper" for
>transformer winding insulation these days?

No.  I used to be able to get all I wanted from a local motor rewinding
shop, but now the owner is dead and the shop has closed down.  Haven't tried
to buy any in years, but I always assumed a motor rewinder would have it,
and there are still a few still in business.  Or is this one more thing to
add to the rapidly growing list of what "they don't make anymore?"

It's getting more and more to be that you can't buy anything new at any
price any more except worthless imported consumer crap at some place like
Wal-Mart. I guess it doesn't really matter that the dollar is losing its
value - you can't find anything worthwhile to buy with it anyway, so no big
deal  that what money you do have will all go for food and heating fuel.

Don k4kyv