[AMRadio] Re:Modulator Plate Voltage

jeremy-ca km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Tue Nov 13 08:06:11 EST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "D. Chester" <k4kyv at charter.net>
To: <amradio at mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 5:09 AM
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Re:Modulator Plate Voltage

> Extra modulation headroom can be had two ways.  The modulation transformer
> turns ratio can be reduced (less step-down), or the plate voltage on the
> modulator can be raised, relative to the final.
>
> Many transmitters run the same voltage to the modulator and final, and use
> a transformer with a turns ratio of about 1.6:1 to 1.7:1.  This just
> barely allows about 95% modulation before the waveform flat-tops.  Often
> this is done intenionally to prevent "overmodulation".  The problem is,
> the flat-topping caused by modulator saturation produces exactly the same
> kind of splatter and distortion as overmodulation, so this is a bad idea.
>
> Since my voice is asymmetrical, I need the extra headroom to accomodate
> the positive modulation peaks without splatter and distortion.  But the
> modulation transformer is fixed  ratio, so I raise the modulator plate
> voltage well above the final amp plate voltage.  I adjust to just below
> 100% modulation in the negative direction, per the oscilloscope, and let
> the positive peaks go where they may, making sure they don't  flat-top.

What do you mean by well above? If the RF deck is at 2250 where would you
want the modulator to be?
Im in the process of building a pair of 813's with 810's audio and have one
big single PS that can get up to 3KVC@ 1A. How much can 810's  be pushed in
voltage or should I go to 572B's or even 250T's?

Since Ive been unable to find a big mod xfmr so far the audio section is
still up in the air and flexible.

Carl
KM1H