[AMRadio] Re:Modulator Plate Voltage

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 09:23:24 EST 2007

jeremy-ca wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "D. Chester" <k4kyv at charter.net>

You'd be better to reduce the plate voltage on the final.  813's -can-
(and do) handle 2500v, just fine.

Raise the current in the final, reduce the plate voltage, run the
modulator voltage higher.  Two separate supplies are required.

> Im in the process of building a pair of 813's with 810's audio and
> have one big single PS that can get up to 3KVC@ 1A. How much can
> 810's  be pushed in voltage or should I go to 572B's or even 250T's?
>
> Since Ive been unable to find a big mod xfmr so far the audio section
> is still up in the air and flexible.

You're at the 'wonderful' stage of our hobby, Carl... experimentation!
Slap it together, measure, clip tweek, peak, dip... take it apart,
reconfigure and start again. Manipulation of electrons until they are
doing what -you- want them to do!  Trial and error.  keep punching at
it, man.

Ask yourself this... what impedances do I have to match?  Tube specs on
tubes in modulator service are pretty clear about what the p-p impedance
is, but still, impedance (AC Resistance) is nothing more than a function
of voltage and current.

ie: the impedance of a final running 2000v @ 500mA = 4,000 ohms.  2000v
@ 500mA is 1kW DC input.

The power output of the same final, running 4000v @ 250mA = the same kW
of power, but what's happened to our impedance?  Why, it's now four
TIMES as high (16,000 ohms).

Which, of the two, would be easier to modulate?

When you're trying to find a modulation reactor, the rule-of-thumb' is 8
to 10Hy per 1000 ohms of Z in the final.  Is it going to be easier to
find a 30~40Hy reactor, or would you rather try to find a choke near the
160HY level?

Imagine 1000v @ 1amp.  Z = 1000 ohms.

I really think one would be better off, these days, running a good,
stiff power supply for the modulator, and vari-ac the final power
supply.  Yes, two separate supplies, to reduce the chance of common-mode
hum.

With "Good Engineering Practices" is how rigs are to be built, correct?

--
Driving your AM Rig without a scope,

73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR