Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 10:26:47 EST 2007

On Nov 12, 2007 3:45 PM,  <steveve2swc at aol.com> wrote:
> One of the things I am most thankfull is that I am living in Canada. This
> country has the most liberal listening laws in the world. Plus Canadian hams no
> longer have to pay each year for our ham licences. There are other reasons I
> am  thankfull but I hate to sound proud or arrogant due to an accident of
> birth.You  could do more wrong than having a DX camp over the border, especially
> here in  Quebec where you can buy beer in local convience stores,  ha

You can buy beer at convenience stores here too, eh? In fact, my first
trip to Wyoming yielded a very memorable moment: a drive up window for
picking up beer, wine, alcohol of your choice. Now, *that's* service!

No fee for licenses here beyond initial testing fees charged by the VE
organizations. Dunno about those vanity calls, apparently there is a
fee associated with using an out-of-area callsign or call of your
choice. Vanity has its price?  (o:

Cold here across the border in VT, so no real difference there. Used
to drive up towards Montreal back in the 80s to buy the legal number
of cases of Brador for college parties (2 per person, IIRC). The
alcohol content was slightly higher than our beer, so it all made
sense at the time. Of course, the convenience stores insisted on no
exchange, US dollars at par. Maybe we can get some of that back now.

You do have us on the power level though, so I'm thinking of applying
for a VE or VA vanity call just to be covered.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ (VA1KAQ?)  :D