[AMRadio] Best Heathkit AM Transmitter

Ben Dover quixote2 at ix.netcom.com
Tue Nov 13 12:31:35 EST 2007

-----Original Message-----

Have owned and used an Apache, and several DX-100Bs. Currently got a DX-100 and
a DX-60 with the matching VFO.

I wouldn't take another Apache as a gift...  unless I had need for PARTS and IRON
for restoring a DX-100!   <<GRIN>>

Maybe it was just MY Apache, and not the breed in general...  but that fancy VFO
dial and drive mechanism drove me absolutely batty. The damned thing kept becoming
unstrung, and that necessitated removing the front panel to put it all back
together.

After about the fifth restringing job, I got so disgusted I just GAVE THE DAMNED THING
AWAY to a buddy who had a DX-100 with a cooked plate transformer. I had the satisfaction
of watching the Transmitter From Hell getting DISEMBOWELED to put him on 160 AM!   ;o)

Other than that...  I'd have to say the DX-100B is the best of the lot. The straight
DX-100 has an Achilles Heel; the PA loading capacitor network. A high VSWR will blow
the hell out of the fixed padders, and they aren't standard caps, so replacement is a
problem. At one point Heathkit sold a kit that would convert the DX-100 loading caps
to the 3 section broadcast band receiver variable that they used in the DX-100B.

Mr. T., W9LBB