[AMRadio] Best Heathkit AM Transmitter

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 13:30:38 EST 2007

Donald Sanders wrote:
> I have to agree that the dial was a nuisance but I got it working well
> after a couple tries and over 5 years it worked well. The audio stage
> was a bit hard to get into after it is built and I modified it as I went to
> have better bandpass. I also had the SB-10 SSB adapter and used it
> with the Apache.
> Without the SB-10 I would also chose the DX100B.

The VFO may not be built-in, but Viking II's, when working proper, are
kinda hard to beat.

As with any rig, simply replace a few caps, make a couple of mods (PTT,
audio) and you've got a solid 100w performer.

One could even change out the 6AU6's for a pair of 12AX7's, using the
first one as a Crystal Microphone equalizer, and inverse feed-back, the
2nd for amplification, into a phase-inverter that would then connect up,
capacitively to the grids of the 807's to get around the weak link in
the audio chain, the audio-driver transformer.

Yeah, I know the thread is about 'Heathkit' rigs, but one 100w
plate-modulated AM rig, is as good as the next 100w plate-modulated AM rig.

Apache, DX-100, Viking I/II, any of the 32V series, B&W 5100, etc...

--
Driving your AM Rig without a scope,

73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR