[AMRadio] Best Heathkit AM Transmitter

Ben Dover quixote2 at ix.netcom.com
Tue Nov 13 14:13:07 EST 2007

Howdy, Eddy!

>Hi Guys,
>
>I agree 101% with all of the positive sentiments re. the Viking II --- it
>looks good, sounds great (with a minimum of fuss in the "mods" dept.), and
>is really quite easy to work on, IF you don't mind the weight...!
>
>Mine is the rather unique & rare Canadian version, built for the Royal
>Canadian Air Force 'way back when: it covers the entire SW spectruum, so
>there is no "band switch", as such --- just multiple frequency ranges, on
>all of the different switches.
>
>It is NOT the U.S. Civil Defence version, but a different animal in and of
>itself...
>
>...Best of all, I picked it up a coupla years ago for the king's ranson of
>$60.00!
>
>~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

I've had a lot of different transmitters over the years, but somehow I've
always taken a pass on the Vikings. A buddy here in town swears by 'em, but
I guess the lack of a VFO was one factor in keeping me away; I've always been
partial to the Valiant.

Another thing that kept me away was the PA tube in the early version, that
oddball 4D32 !!!

I've been to THAT particular rodeo before... at one time I had (and SCRAPPED)
a Hallicrafters HT-20, which used the same jug as a PA. Not a bad tube... it
was just very hard to replace at that time (late 1960s), and it was full of
parts I could use in other places. Besides, the rig didn't impress me that
much, and I only had about ten bucks in it!

I can hear you guys out there moaning at the idea of scrapping an HT-20. Ya
think THAT'S something? How about the JOHNSON 500 that I scrapped for parts?
<<GRIN>>

Mr. T., W9LBB