[AMRadio] Re: P.S. - you get to run 1000W input on AM up here

D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Tue Nov 13 14:37:02 EST 2007

>      So how does Canada feel about ex-pats? I hear you need to
> have a job lined up, or at least be self-sufficient.  Central
> heating, parkas, warm toques (?!) and gloves are great and all
> that but how good is the pizza and hot cocoa?? Inquiring minds
> wanna know. And so do I. And thanks.
>
>  73,  Terry Bakowski KC9KEL

Plus, Canada's Medicare covers people of all ages, not just the elderly. And
regarding the toques, one to keep you warm, and there is less paranoia about
the other variety than in USA.  And Canadian ham bands have no subbands.

But it has become much more difficult to get "landed immigrant" status (more
or less the equivalent of the US Green Card) than it was during the VietNam
era, when all you had to do was make your declaration at the border
crossing.

And apparently it is now difficult to enter Canada even for a short visit.
My daughter's boyfriend had planned to take a camping trip to Thunder Bay
back during the summer.  He drove several hundred miles from Nashville to
the border crossing, and they refused him entry because the computer showed
that he had been busted at age 19 for under-age drinking in Tennessee.  What
was really so stupid about that was that it should have been a moot point
since 19 would have been legal drinking age in Canada, and when he tried to
enter the country, he was 24, well past the drinking age.  Besides, what
does under-age drinking 5 years ago have to do with being a risk to Canada?
Makes me wonder if it would be worth travelling from distant reaches of the
US, if you could unexpectedly be refused entry because of some hassle you
might have forgotten all about. Most of us probably have something trivial
like that on our past record.

There is a down side to the ham  radio issue.  Canada's regulations impose a
6 kHz bandwidth limitation for AM.
But that is apparently taken about as seriously as the USA's p.e.p.
bullschzit.  I have never heard of an AM'er on either side of the border
being cited for exceeding either one.  And I hear Canadian AM'ers describe
their rigs in detail, with no mention of any measures taken to suppress the
highs.

Don, k4kyv