[AMRadio] Best Heathkit AM Transmitter

Larry Knapp kc8jx at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 13 14:50:20 EST 2007

Best Heathkit AM Transmitter

The ‘original’ comment was regarding ‘Best Heathkit AM Transmitter’. ‘Best’ is a very subjective
term, as we have all seen. References to Viking’s and/or Valiant’s or other manufacturers digress
from the original comment.

I’ve owned many Heathkit AM transmitters. DX-100B, Apache, Marauder (HX-10), and DX-40. If one
were to ask ‘what was the largest seller’, that would certainly fall to the DX-60 series. If one
adds the DX-35 and DX-40 to that, these screen modulated transmitters were the best selling
Heathkits. One could say these were primarily CW transmitters...a case can be made for that. But
they did have AM capability.

It seems no ‘olde’ transmitter is immune from modifications
some require extensive changes
(Johnsons, my experience) others relatively little
.to sound good to a ‘purist’ in today’s world.
The HX-10 with no ‘factory’ modifications remains a great choice for those who like CW, SSB and AM
all in one very stable unit; though it’s not plate modulated AM. The DX-100B I have, required some
modifications though very little to sound teriffic. I like it’s variable loading capacitor setup
much better over my Valiant’s or other similar units....or the DX-100. This is just ‘my’ personal
preference.

Returning to the exact comment, if one wants the ‘best’ Heathkit AM transmitter, and if that
comment refers to plate modulated AM, then your choice would be the DX-100/DX-100B or Apache.
Neither of which require as much modification to make them sound excellent as needs to be done to
other manufacturers transmitters (my individual experence).

73, Larry KC8JX
St. Joseph, Mi
Owner: Valiant, DX-100B, HX-10...and others