[AMRadio] Re: Legal limit

Brett Gazdzinski brett.gazdzinski at verizon.net
Tue Nov 13 19:04:05 EST 2007

Not sure why the open wire line is out.
If you use a rig with a good tank circuit Q, into a ballanced tuner,
into open wire line to the antenna, the harmonics are going to be very low.
A filter is not going to lower them, nor is coax, filters start around 50
MHz
I think, and most rigs wont put much out up there if they are well designed
and run.
Coax does not filter anything, it just adds loss between the rig and the
antenna.
Baluns, especialy iron core ones saturate and generate lots of garbage, and
I cant run them, theyh dont make ones for full power AM that will
work into any swr.

Brett
N2DTS

> I wont even run open wire line.
> All my old rigs (even the PP 211's) will be running from balanced PP
output
> thru 12:1 powdered iron baluns into coax and filters. I wont even run open
> wire line. I also run 12:1 baluns/ununs on the receivers (2.5V HRO,
NC-101X,
> NC-240D, SX-9, SX-28, HQ-129X, etc) from the coax feedlines and patch
panel;
> it makes a big improvement.
>
> Carl
> KM1H
>

> >>Bottom line is that Charlie is no more interested in an AMer that is a
few
> >>dB over the limit than they are with anyone else running an 8877, 2 x
> >>3CX800, or similar amp on SSB or CW that can easily crank out 2500W.
> >>What gets Charlies attention is the obvious troublemaker or braggart
that
> >>thinks its cool to talk about his two 4-1000A's, 4CX5000, etc, meanwhile
> >>being 20 KHz wide.
> >

> > AMEN to that! Exactly the point I was trying to make. The Friendly
Cookie
> > Company is too busy cutting big deals to give a damn about what happens
on
> > the ham bands. The only time you have to sweat them is if there's an
> > obvious
> > and major problem...  like K1MAN found out!  ;o)
> >
> > It's been a lot of years, but I HAVE experienced an FCC inspection (some
> > TVI
> > complaints back in Chicago). My experience with it wasn't that bad.
> >
> > As a broadcaster, the FCC is always in my mind, tho even professionally
> > the encounters with The Feds are rare...  and always nonconfrontational.
> >
> > FCC field engineers aren't geniuses, nor are they dummies... they're
just
> > guys
> > who are working for a living. They're not out to slap you in the head if
> > they
> > can. In fact, most of them are/were HAMS, just like you.
> >
> > If you can give them explainations and justifications that are based on
> > solid
> > engineering principles, and YOU DON'T TRY TO BS 'EM, most perceived
> > problems
> > can be resolved. In fact, even if you aren't experienced or skilled
enough
> > deal with a technical problem yourself, some of these guys will go out
of
> > thier
> > way to help you; one Chicago office engineer is a lifelong FRIEND of
mine.
> > He
> > became Elmer (I hate that term! <<smile>>) to a lot of guys... some of
> > whom he
> > met when he D/Fed and busted 'em as bootlegging high school kids!
> >
> > In general... about the only time these guys go into a full blown Judah
> > Mansbach
> > mode is when you try to be a wise guy, and pull violations that are
> > DELIBERATE
> > and FLAGRANT.
> >

> >>Im sure we all know at least one SSB op that is running 5KW+ but has
never
> >>been bothered. I'd have to take off my shoes and socks to be able to add
> >>up
> >>the ones I know of.
> >
> > Exactly. The key to Peaceful Piracy on the ham bands is to NOT act like
> > jerk
> > on the air. Just because you've got 10 KW, you DON'T have to use it to
> > push
> > everyone else around on the air. If you just apply the Golden Rule, even
> > HUGE
> > power violations are unlikely to result in a knock on the door from a
Fed.