[AMRadio] Open Wire - was AMRadio Digest, Vol 46, Issue 24

jeremy-ca km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Tue Nov 13 20:59:23 EST 2007

I dont know what you think you read but Ive dismissed nothing. Im not here
to start or get embroiled in a long winded argument; that is strictly a
lose-lose scenario.

For some, open wire fills a need and serves it. Others want something
different either in radiation pattern, gain, ease of use, no tuner to have
to fiddle with, or whatever.

Coax loss on 80/160 is inconsequential even in a run of a few hundred feet.
When losses matter, use bigger coax. All my long runs are CATV hardline of
3/4, 7/8 and 1". The horizontal run just to the base of the 180' tower is
250' and the others are 100 to 175' away. Cost was zero plus a few cases of
beer to CATV crews. Beverages are fed with up to 1000' of 1/2".

I just dont care for multiband antennas as they are a compromise but thats
not an AM issue, just a personal preference based on 52 years as a ham.
YMMV.

Carl
KM1H